Sunday, 23 August 2026

Is Death Good? (Rom 5:17, Phil 1:20-26)

Below is a talk I gave on Friday at youth. Like last week, this was answering questions from a question box from the previous term. In this are parts I have reused from elsewhere. The flow is also a bit loose, as I didn't tightly keep to this script.



Good evening, today I am talking about death. Death can be an awkward topic. We can fear it or fear talking about it, as we might not be sure what happens afterwards. The finality of it, the separation of it, feels deep and almost scary. Eternity is a long time.

Louis XV, King of France, ordered that death was never to be spoken of in his presence. He didn’t like to think about death, either. We normally fear death because of its uncertainty and its significance.

Francis Bacon wrote, “Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark” (The Essays, 343).

The fear of death sometimes controls what we do. We put on seat belts in the car, wear helmets on bikes, and look both ways before crossing the road. Old people take out life insurance, and we put smoke detectors in our houses. We want to avoid death; it can be a healthy fear that makes us do all those things.

Now, I have a favourite sermon that I have given, at least 10 times, on 1 Corinthians 15 and what Jesus’ resurrection means for us. In this talk, I said the following:

"I was at a funeral for a close colleague of mine in 2018. I worked with her for about 12 years; I drove her to and from work for many of those years. She came to my wedding; I went to hers. We were the same age. She went to bed on a Friday night and never woke up. Her sister was 38 weeks pregnant and gave one of the eulogies. She spoke of the plans she had with her sister after her baby would be born, and then in anger, she said, “It’s just not fair!”"

And in my talk I would say, "Yes, death is not fair". But the last time I gave this talk, someone corrected me. They said, death may not feel fair, but it is just, as death is the penalty of sin.

We only have death in this world because we have sin. If there was no sin, there would be no death.

Humanity was not originally made for death. I don’t care what David Attenborough or The Lion King told you about the circle of life; death is unnatural. Death was not meant to be for us.

Paul in Romans 5, has this compare-and-contrast section of Adam and Jesus. Here is one of the verses we read at the start:
For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ! (Romans 5:17 NIV)
Adam brought sin into this world as our human representative, and as a consequence of that, death was brought into this world. And you can feel like that was unfair; I didn’t vote for Adam to be my representative; you can have your complaint. But there is another representative that you also didn’t vote for, which was Jesus. Jesus came and lived a perfect life. He was not under sin, and so He is able to justify, or make right, all people whom He represents.

Through one man, Adam, came death. And through the death of one man, Jesus, comes life.

But one other thing when talking about death and good. It is interesting to note that Christians call the day Jesus died as “good”. We have Good Friday, which seems like a terrible day when our Lord, or master, or person that you follow actually dies.

It sort of reminds me a little like this old comic:


The first guy says, “I hate the term Good Friday”
The second ask: “Why?”
And he says, “My Lord was hanged on a tree that day”
The other guy says: “If you were going to be hanged on that day and he volunteered to take your place, how would you feel?”
He says, “Good”. 
“Have a nice day”

Because Jesus experienced death. He walked through it and came out alive. He can’t die again. He has swallowed it up in victory, and He gives us His win. That is how Jesus can offer eternal life to people. He beat death forever. Jesus has undone the curse of death and will restore it all to how it was originally planned.

So that is sort of the big picture about death. It wasn't in the original plan. It is a result of sin. It can be considered a trespasser in this world, and will be thrown out at the end. And because God came down as one of us and suffered the effects of death on our behalf, we can get eternal life.

So that may create a tension. Especially if it feels like life is not going well. If you are Christian, when you die you get eternal life, so why not go sooner? There is a sort of a logic to that, but there is also something morbid about it. Death is still an enemy. Death is still something we don’t immediately seek.

And so, if you are feeling like life is a struggle, please speak to someone about how you are feeling. Death is still a serious thing, and it is worth talking about why you might be thinking that life is hard at the moment. I know there are leaders in this room that have been there. And while it might sound like a cliché, there is still truth in the line, “it does get better”. The earth has seasons; your life will have seasons. And letting someone know about what season you are in will be helpful to you. And who knows, that other person could help. If things are already at their worst, bringing someone else in on it can’t hurt, and it may even help.

Paul was put in prison a few times for being a Christian. That is one of the reasons why we have so much of the New Testament, as in prison he had time to write. One time he was in jail, he wrote to the church in Philippi and said:
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me. (Philippians 1:20–26 NIV)
There is a lot in here, but note a few things. Paul says to live is Christ and to die is gain. In the living, there is still fruitful work to do for Jesus. But in the dying, he will gain being with Christ, which Paul says would be great. In the end, Paul says staying here and doing the living and the working would be better for the sake of others. Paul is considering others above himself. Yes, dying in a dirty prison would mean going to Jesus, but that is selfish to those he can stay behind and help. There is value in our living. What we do has real meaning, and can be lived for Jesus and the sake of others.

Life is better than death, and Christianity is about life. Death is not the norm, He is an enemy, and his days are numbered. One day death will die.

I had an old work mate, a bit older than me, tell me once that he woke up most nights worried about death and what was on the other side and the fear of the unknown. And after he told me this, he sort of looked at me for reassurance and said something like, “But doesn’t everyone think this?” And I was like, “No. No one I know is fearful of death. Everyone I know pretty much has the issue of death solved.” Because Jesus rose again on that first Easter Sunday, we can have confidence that we too will rise with Him. He endured the full penalty of death for us. Pain is not removed from the Christian life; death may still hurt, but death is not fatal.

D.L. Moody is reported to have said.
“Someday you will read in the papers that D. L. Moody of East Northfield is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now.”
Jesus offers us life and life to the full. We can live not worried about what happens after death, and while we live out our lives now, we can live now for Jesus and others. This may be a life of sacrifice, but it is only following the same way of Jesus, who also lived a life of sacrifice for us all.

Questions

Discussion questions

Why is there death in this world? How does this change the way we see death?

Why do Christians not have to have a fear of death? Why might we call the death of Jesus “Good” on Good Friday?

If we get to be with Jesus when we die, why would we stay here? How does knowing death has been defeated change the way we live now?

0 comments:

Post a Comment