Sunday 27 August 2023

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry

My wife read this book and suggested I should too, I am not sure if that was a suggestion about my pace of life or not... The thing was, I was reading this book on holidays, so lots of what I was reading about did not feel like the current setting I was presently in.

This book argues that our modern lifestyle and Western consumerism that encourage hurry and distraction are detrimental to our spiritual lives. What you give your attention to shapes the person that you become. Jesus is on about love, joy and peace which are the opposite of hurry and busyness. Love and relationships take time, we need time to appreciate people and moments but hurry doesn't have time. Hurry isn't just a disordered calendar it is a disordered heart.

What we need to do in our always-connected, fast-paced life is to disconnect and intentionally slow down and declutter. We need to not just know about Jesus' teaching and know all about the do's and do not's but we need to follow Jesus. That is, adjust our lifestyle and follow Jesus' example. The Christian life is a relationship and that takes time and focus and may need some structure to make that happen. While I appreciated this premise, overall I think the book then moves a little away from this main point and then gives much wisdom that isn't necessarily tied to many examples taken from Jesus' life. We are to follow Jesus, that is what a disciple is, but some of the advice given in this book isn't necessarily tied to a verse, but it does go on to give some pointers on how to live in our modern world while being mindful of our relationship with Jesus. The author is also pretty clear that their "rules" are an attempt, a take-it-or-leave-it, and to maybe use their examples as a springboard-for-your-own-thinking-on-how-to-live type fashion.

The principle of the Sabbath was put forward. This is a day to rest and not do work or be busy. To not buy and sell things that day. To pray and enjoy God and the gifts He has given us. This rhythm is good for you, to live an ordinary slow-paced life and it also sticks it to the man of socioeconomic disparity and consumerism. This can take planning to not do anything, and the effect of having this whole day to take it slow may also trickle into the other six days of your week. In my week, I have Thursdays off. However, I do have to admit I don't turn my phone off, and still check my emails, and even just this week found myself typing up notes Thursday evening for a meeting on the Friday morning. All this to say is that this can be a harder discipline than you think, and it does mean things need to be planned and you need the confidence that everything you do isn't that important or urgent and can be put off for 24 hours.

On emails, I was very impressed that this guy only checks his email once a week - Monday 10am till he gets zero inbox. He has an automatic message to say that he will not get back to you till Monday. I kinda would love to do that! In practice, I scan my emails every day and reply to them throughout, but I do try and get zero inbox on Friday afternoon. This has realistically only happened maybe 4 or 5 times this year - but it often is in the single digits by Friday afternoon.

On consumerism, there are some good points about not buying everything we think we need. You already have everything you need to be content, which is a relationship with the Father, which you can't buy at the shops. Everything you buy can take up mental (and physical) space that you may add to your busyness. There was a principle of buying the one thing that will last longer, than the cheaper thing you may have to replace over time. I struggle with buying the better thing as I am cheap. There was also a little bit about downsizing your wardrobe. I thought it was ambitious to only have three different outfits per season, I am not sure what weekly washing cycle he is living on. I am all for minimisation and decluttering however this felt like a little something the author wanted to say, rather than something directly linked to our busyness (maybe with our focus and distractions).

The book also puts forward some ideas to encourage slowing down. Pick the longest line in the supermarket, turn up 10 minutes early to things, uninstall your distraction apps on your phone or stay in the slow lane in traffic, and while you are going slow, don't use the time to be distracted by the trivial. You can pray, you can look around and see (and talk to) the people around you.

Overall this was a helpful book to help reorientate your focus and to not buy into the always-on-the-go world that we have. It is ok to slow down, it is ok to not reply to that email right now. We need to slow down, appreciate the moment, declutter, be present with those around you, and above all, seek time to spend with God. Fight for it in your schedule. As the author says:

life is a struggle. The question is simply: What are you fighting for? Survival of the fittest? Some perversion of the American dream? Or something better?

0 comments:

Post a Comment